Sunday, January 27, 2008

Our beloved Prophet has died


President Hinckley died tonight at 7 PM, January 27, 2008. He was 97 years old.

I am so SAD!!! I loved President Hinckley. Yet I'm sure he is happy that his work here on earth is done. He has gone home to be with his beloved wife and I know he fulfilled his calling. I feel that our last great generation is dying... President Hinckley will truly be missed by millions all over the world.

For more information:
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8095453
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695247937,00.html

Thoughts:
One day on my mission the Elders called us before we left for the day. They said they needed to meet with us and the other sisters to tell us some important news. They said to meet them around noon in the park because we all had plans to be in that general location. So around noon we waited for the Elders in the park and it began to snow, heavily. (It was Massachusetts after all) The Elders didn't want us sisters to stand out in the cold while they told us the news so they searched around and found some old water pipe, pumping shed. They ushered us in and began to say a prayer. Then they proceeded to tell us that President Hinckley was coming to the mission. We were so ecstatic!!! We felt so blessed! They began to tell us the rules our Mission President had for us and for Heaven's SAKES... we were not allowed to tell anybody.
So the day came and all the missionaries in the mission were packed into the chapel and we had been sitting there for 30 minutes waiting for President Hinckley to arrive. Our Mission President had laid out some pretty scrict rules... Don't shake hands unless the Prophet offers his first, Shake his hand firm, but gently, Be quiet, Be attentive.... etc. Our Mission President had us so scared that President Hinckley looked out at us and the first thing he said was.. "SMILE". Our message is one of good news.
My Mission President always had the sisters sit in the first two rows and the Elders in back of us. I was sitting on the very first row, right in front of the pulpit.
All of us missionaries sat very quietly and all of a sudden we heard President Hinckley's voice. We heard him chuckle and then came swifly down the aisle, holding his cane. He turned to glance at Elder Packer to say, "Hurry up".
The meeting was absolutely wonderful. One of the greatest highlights of the entire mission. The spirit was the strongest I had ever felt it and seemed to envelope our Prophet. I felt the strength of President Hinckley, his humour, and love.
When President Hinckley concluded and left, our Mission President let us sit for fifteen minutes in silence to contemplate and write down impressions.
I loved President Hinckley. I am grateful for his service, his example, his humour, and the love he showed his wife.
What a remarkable man.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience from your mission.