Monday, July 16, 2012
Too many cooks in the kitchen
A friend of mine once told me that her Mother-in-law was the best cook she has ever known. That statement makes me laugh because she was, in a round about way, telling me my cooking wasn't up to par with her Mother-in-law's. Seriously!?! I cook the way my Mother taught me to cook and there are some things that I do really, really well. But having said that, it's all relative because what you may like may not be what I like and vice versa. This friend made me some of her Mother-in-law's food, and let me tell you, I didn't think it was at all spectacular, but then again didn't I say it's all relative? I am used to my Mother's cooking. I think her cooking is spectacular. She cooks with spices and herbs. I think my friend is used to more bland cooking. That being said, I was at a backyard BBQ a couple of weeks ago when it was sunny outside and not the constant monsoon we had all last week. The lady of the house had made a potato salad and I went to spoon some up and quickly put the spoon down. I mean who the bleep puts green olives in their potato salad????? Really?!? Don't you know anything??? My parents grew up in Idaho and I moved away as a preteen. I know good potato salads and I have never eaten a green olive in a potato salad before. But then I had that conversation come up in my head about my friend's Mother-in-Law, who is supposedly the best cook ever. Then I looked at the potato salad and thought, I like green olives. I used to eat a ton of them on my mission. Those Puerto Rican Mamas put them in their yellow rice and I love their yellow rice. So I took my plastic spoon and tried some. OH MY DIVINE GOODNESS! So here is a recipe for Egg potato salad with green olives I found on Epicurious. I am going to make it and see how it compares to the one I had. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment