James and I went to the Temple today. We hadn't been since they remodeled in July. I love the new marble floor on the inside and also the new foyer they added to keep the inside clean. It is beautiful. James and I feel renewed, we want to start going to the temple twice a month. It helps us to gain perspective of life and what is truly important. One word struck me in the temple and has stayed with me. The word, guile. We are to not speak any guile, so what is it?
To be without guile is to be free of deceit, cunning, hypocrisy, and dishonesty in thought or action. To beguile is to deceive or lead astray, as Lucifer beguiled Eve in the Garden of Eden. A person without guile is a person of innocence, honest intent, and pure motives, whose life reflects the simple practice of conforming his daily actions to principles of integrity.
The psalmist wrote, “Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile” (Ps. 32:2), and then admonished, “Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile” (Ps. 34:13).
In the New Testament, we learn that the Savior was without guile (see 1 Pet. 2:22) and that “he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile” (1 Pet. 3:10).
Gossip is a form of guile and has a chilling effect on those who bear the brunt of it. Generally, our reputations are important to us, and there is an inherent, disconcerting unfairness about labels given or rumors spread when we’re not able to defend ourselves. Such words can be frustrating, painful, and harmful at times.
Spreading gossip creates a feeling of ill will. We feel the icy aftermath of careless words. In fact, each of us risks being figuratively and literally left out in the cold if we indulge in gossip and speak unkind words about others. Gossip harms everyone involved, those who are speaking it, those listening to it, and those who are being spoken about.
My husband shared with me once, that even if the piece of information is true, when we talk about another person behind their back, it's still gossip.
Marvin J. Ashton tells of a college classmate who opened her binder one day and found a note attached to the inside of the cover: “Have a great day!”
“It’s from one of my roommates,” she explained. “She’s always writing me cards and leaving notes.”
Impressed, I responded, “That’s really thoughtful.”
“She also buys me gifts,” my friend continued.
Now I was even more impressed. “I’d love to know someone like that,” I said. But my friend’s voice didn’t register much enthusiasm, and I was puzzled. “You don’t seem particularly excited.”
She smiled sadly. “That’s because she criticizes me behind my back and spreads rumors about me when I’m not around.”
“Oh.” Again, I understood. Despite her outward attempts to show concern, this friend’s roommate had not yet learned that gifts and notes don’t mean much when unaccompanied by the warmth of loyalty and genuine goodwill. Sometimes we find it easier to write a quick note or purchase a token of affection than to bridle our tongues.
I don't claim to be perfect. While sitting in the temple, I reflected on people who I know that do not tolerate gossip. I have felt safe talking to them and have felt genuine caring and concern from them. I admire that in my husband, intolerance of gossip.
It seems to me that if we were truly caring people, we would not speak guile of anyone. If we were truly filled with charity, we would not want to injure one another, especially family members.
I've never felt truer charity for anyone then the people whom I served while on my mission. While I was unable to speak the language as perfectly as I felt I should, I prayed daily for charity for the people whom I served. I can honestly say that I felt love for everyone that I served there and will always have a special place in my heart for them.
As I ponder the word, guile, I want to have more charity for everyone I come in contact with. Do I uplift others, or do I tear them down? Do I leave leave them feeling happy they interacted with me, or do they feel the chill of ill will?
After the Savior called Peter, Andrew, and Philip, Philip introduced Jesus to Nathanael, whom some scholars believe to be Bartholomew, the Apostle. Philip said to Nathanael, “We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph” (John 1:45). In this statement, Philip testified that Jesus is the Messiah. Nathanael wondered whether any good thing could come out of Nazareth, indicating the relatively bad reputation of Nazareth in those days. Philip asked him to come and see.
When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he exclaimed of Nathanael, “Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!” (John 1:47). At that moment, Nathanael recognized that Jesus could see into his heart and asked, in surprise, “Whence knowest thou me?” (John 1:48). The Savior’s reply demonstrated an even greater power of perception. He told Nathanael that before Philip had called him to come and see, Jesus saw him under a fig tree.
Nathanael apparently had undergone some surpassing spiritual experience while praying, or meditating, or worshipping under a fig tree. The Lord, though absent in body, had been present with Nathanael in spirit. Nathanael then recognized the Savior as the Christ and said, “Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel” (John 1:49).
Nathanael spoke without guile. The words came from his heart. They expressed a deep conviction of truth. He followed the Savior.
Hopefully we can all stive to be like Nathanael and have our Savior say to us, Behold here is one without guile.
1 comment:
I couldn't agree with you more. Sounds like you had a great visit to the temple. I love going to the temple and am amazed by how much I learn each time I go! I just read an article about guile last month, I think by Joseph B. Wirthlin. It was really good. Thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like you and James are doing great!
Post a Comment