
Sad and unfortunate events occur in people's lives daily. It is sometimes hard to find the beauty and joy in life when undergoing trials and tribulation. I think these things are events in life and not life itself and although they may take a long time to get through, there is still joy to be had and beauty to discover.
How many times this week have you stopped to look at a sunset? Have you taken a walk in nature to look at all the beauty that is poking up out of the ground? Have you sat outside for a few minutes to look at the stars and the heavens at night? How many times have you allowed yourself to sit, meditate, and think of God?
Many times when faced with trials, we forget that in God's eye, these things are so short that they pass in a blink of an eye. To us, it seems like years. In the eternal perspective, God allows us to endure trials to become stronger, better people. It is easy to complain and ask, WHY WHY WHY??? Yeah, I've done some of that myself, but complaining only adds to the misery we feel. I meet people all the time at school who have had it a lot worse then I have or could ever imagine.
There is this lady in my writing class who was incarcerated in the federal detention center. I can't imagine being in a place like that, she said it felt unreal to her that she was sent there. She talked in class of how her and a couple of people she befriended found joy in their little strip of grass between the buildings. They'd lay on the grass and dream of a place they'd been on vacation to and that would help them through the hard days of abusive behavior they endured from guards and prison officials. I think of things like that and realize, you know... life could be much more difficult for me and my family than it is, and I am grateful for the life I have been given. I am also grateful for those people who, like this lady can find joy in life wherever she can, grateful for those who share these moments with others so they can find joy in their own lives, and grateful for my own life where hopefully I can inspire and help others where I can. Also I am grateful that I have people in my life who desire for me to do well and inspire me to reach for greater things.
I found a woman several months ago who has cancer and is undergoing cancer treatments and her outlook on life is remarkable. I am inspired by her blog(Deena)and find joy in my life through hers.
I have a couple of brothers who have found joy in their lives even though at times it hasn't been easy for them. My brother Craig is a real inspiration to me. Even though he has undergone some very difficult things, he remains happy. Why? He has made a conscience decision to be a happy person. He finds joy where ever he can. Another brother, Gary is funny. He likes to laugh and tries to make others laugh as well. He is the hardest worker I have ever known and his sheer desire to make himself a better person inspires me. Both have great big hearts and have qualities that are admirable.
James has a great quality of remaining positive in his outlook on life as well. Even though he's been through some of the darkest and most trying days beyond what I could ever imagine, he's still upbeat and looks at the many possibilities of life to be explored and imagined.
The beauty, joy, and happiness that God intends for us to find is there within our grasp, but the choice is ours whether we will reach for it or not. There will be rough days ahead, but God can walk with you and be your guiding light in the dark. He wants you to find the joy and the beauty in your life.
So, in response to terrible and difficult things that many people in my life are challenged with right now... go do this exercise every day and see that the Lord loves you very much.
GO get yourself a notebook...(yes right now), and remember you'll need something to write with.
List 5 things you are grateful for today.
Keep your notebook open and then today, go find things you are grateful for.
Go on a walk, look at the sunset, gaze at the stars, think of how much I love you...(think of things you'd like to do or see or experience and go do them)
Put them on your list tomorrow.
Do this for a week, then a month, then look back over your experiences.... You'll be happier.
Remember that I love you and give you kisses and hugs, but more importantly....Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love you.

My list:
I am grateful that I am getting my bachelor's degree, it has been hard but so worth it and I have truly loved gaining more knowledge and meeting great people.
I have truly enjoyed gardening. I used to do some for my mom when I lived at home, but there is a certain joy you can only get when planning and planting your own.
I love living in Portland. I have always wanted to live here and now I am, YAY! It is lovely here and I greatly enjoy the gorgeous summers in Portland.
I love living so close to the temple. I enjoyed the last session we went to and am grateful for a place to go where I can have total peace and comfort.
I am grateful for music that makes me happy. Music has always been a source of great joy for me.... So now go listen to this song and feel how AMAZING you are!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment