Saturday, November 17, 2007

messy houses

James and I are sick, sick, sick! I think we both have the flu. We're trying our best to care for one another, but mostly we've been laying in bed, he's been watching tv and sleeping and I've been reading my assignments for school and sleeping. That reminds me what a dear friend said to me last month. I was sick and had stayed home from church. She was worried and stopped by to see me afterwards. I was really embarrassed because my house was a mess and I was in my pajamas with really messy hair. (and we know my hair can get messy with all this curl, a total rat's nest!) She hugged me and said not to worry, that most people live in messes most of the time and only clean up when people come to visit. I am this dear sister's visiting teacher and when I go over we have to move things off the couch to sit down. Yet, this sister has taught me that a cluttered house is hardly worth getting your panties in a bunch over. This sister is the most Christlike person I've ever met. She's taught me that kindness and love towards one another is what it's all about, not pretending to be perfect and having a perfect household. That is simply not reality and pretending to be perfect does nothing but cause others to be hard on themselves for not being perfect. I think this is why so many mormon women are on antidepressants, because they feel they have to be perfect. I know when my own mother was young and had 4 children, we were living in a small house. There was no room for our toys and my aunt stopped by for a visit. The house was cluttered and she told my grandma that my mother wasn't perfect because she couldn't keep a clean house. Of course that got back to my mother and she felt judged and less than a good housekeeper and mormon wife. So she's stressed her whole life about keeping a clean house. Why are many mormon women so critical of each other? I'm thankful for a dear friend who has helped me understand the true meaning of friendship and Christlike love.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I didn't know that story about an aunt dropping by--that's too bad. I hate my house being messy, but I refuse to clean up after my kids who are old enough to clean up after themselves. So I live in a messy house most of the time. I can't wait until the kids move out! When they get older and have their own houses Mark and I are going to visit them and spill pop on the floor and just leave it, leave dirty dishes in whatever room I feel like, spill shampoo on the bottom of the tub and leave it, put handprints all over the walls and windows, leave my coat and socks on the floor, put crumbs down in the couches, and whatever else we can think of! It will be SO much fun!

Julie said...

I hope you both get feeling better so you can have a nice Thanksgiving!

James and Angela said...

Who doesn't like a clean house? I like a clean house also but I'm not going to be crazy about it anymore and get all bent out of shape about it. There is more to life then just keeping the house clean plus mom is going to help me organize the office once the bathroom is finished. I can't help living in a mess when we are systematically tearing out a room to the studs and redoing it. I ripped out everything in the bathroom. James' brother came and tiled the floor and taught me how so I can do the bathroom upstairs. I scraped all the walls, James mudded them and textured them, but I'm really picky and retextured them. We just need to find time to grout the tile, prime and paint the walls and put the new vanity, mirror and toilet in. I can't wait! Then I'm going to tear down the living room!!! Let the fun begin...

Carol said...

I love to clean my house, now and then. I love a clean house. There is nothing wrong with having a clean house. But, if others don't want a clean house, that's okay with me. But, I love to clean other people's houses. That's okay too, as long as they don't get offended. :) But, you have a gift I don't have. You are an amazing cook! You can cook for me anytime you want and I promise I won't get offended. :) We all have different gifts and talents - they are to bless other people's lives. That's why we all have different gifts, so we can use them to help others.
Dad says he is going to raid his children's refrigerators. I haven't noticed him doing so yet.

James and Angela said...

Mom, you can come and clean my house anytime you want to. I will totally take you up on that offer. I need some help. James has been wanting to have someone come and clean our house every other week and was going to ask a friend of mine for the number of her housekeeper. I am taking you up on your offer to organize the office. I want my computer and stuff upstairs in the nook that you pass to go to the bathroom, James can keep his computer in the office. I can't study when he's talking, his voice is too loud. You're a good cook mom. I don't know what you're talking about. I'm an experimental, throw things together cook. The things I make are pretty great, but that doesn't mean you can't cook... In fact James things your recipes are awesome. He loves grandma's recipe that she brought over from Wales for apple dumplings. Yum Yum (add a little pear to the apple, it is good!)

Carol said...

Throwing things together is another way of cooking and shows creativity.
I will try hard to come help you in your office space. My arm is in pain, I think its arthritis, so I hope I can do something. But you know all about pain in the arms.
Yes, one of our favorites is Apple Dumplings. It's a great recipe.