Thursday, November 1, 2007

Traditions

I always loved family traditions. I love that I can make my own family traditions now that I have my own little family. Holidays give families the ability to create fun and happy memories and traditions that you and everyone in the family can look forward to. I look forward to the ward Halloween party, carving pumpkins in cool or scary faces, and going to the corn maze on Halloween night and getting hopelessly lost and muddy while holding James' hand. We've been going to the corn mazes on Halloween for the last 3 years. There are several corn mazes to go to on Sauvie Island, even a haunted maze on the other side of the Island, but I'm not into the scary part of Halloween and I hate haunted houses. I like dressing up and looking pretty, hayrides, harvest time, getting organic food from the farms, lighted pumpkins winking in the dark, cute costumes of sweet little children, pumpkin patches, the pumpkin catapult smashing pumpkins onto the target, the smell of pumpkin pie and apple dumplings baking, luscious pears, the colors of summer changing into the brilliant colors of fall, and most definately CORN MAZES!!

8 comments:

Carol said...

STAY OUT OF THOSE CORNFIELDS!! Do I need to say more?
Hope you are well soon.
Yes, traditions are important to the family. Happy to know you making your own.

James and Angela said...

I will stay out of them... until next year! Actually, who knows what we'll be doing next year, if we're still in Oregon, we have to go to the cornfields, asthma attacks and all! I do love traditions, I have a lot of good memories because of them. I also have heard a lot of people saying they hate halloween. I think they're crazy because you don't have to go trick or treating or do anything that you dislike. You can simply make your own traditions like you did at Valentine's Day. (Have a party for the family.)I like holidays, because it is an excuse to party with my husband and do the things WE like to do!!!

James and Angela said...

I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. Last year we rented a digital projector and got a screen to put over our huge window in our front room. We watched movies on a big screen. It was SOOOO cool, just like sitting in a movie theater, except more comfortable because we were lounging around on the couch. I don't know what we're doing this year, but I know it'll be fun and for James, that means no sports!

Carol said...

I remember as a little girl going trick or treating one Halloween and when we went to one house they were having a party inside. I always remember that and how I thought having a party at home and not going trick or treating looked like so much more fun.
We were traveling by car this Halloween and so I decided to get my Halloween bowl and put apples and everyones favorite candy bar in it. They appreciated eating their own favorite candy bar.
I like the idea of watching movies on Thanksgiving. I guess I can let the guys watch their football on TV and I can go to Gary's room and watch a couple of movies. Any suggestions for movies?

James and Angela said...

I always wanted to have a party at my house instead of trick or treating also. I know many people who've done it and said it was fun and better then taking their kids trick or treating. Perhaps when I have kids, we'll do it, but perhaps by then James and I'll be celebrating all dia de la muerte instead!

Julie said...

Growing up didn't we always rent movies over Thanksgiving? I thought we did. We also watched the Wizard of Oz on TV every year. We always played Monopoly too. Where are you thinking of moving?

James and Angela said...

We rented movies a couple of times at Thanksgiving when we were growing up. But mostly there were always movies on the tv and fun cartoons on that day. I've always hated the wizard of oz. I would watch the beginning and then leave. Playing board games was fun but I always was too BORED with monopoly to stay in the game too long and I'd end up giving the bank all my money and leave to do something else. I liked the Thanksgivings we spent with Grandma and Grandpa, Uncle Steven and Aunt Claudia, and I always like taking naps afterwards and Mom letting us eat pie for breakfast the next morning. As we got older and moved to Roseburg, Thanksgiving with the Hoppe's was a lot of fun. I loved it when Grandma Radmall came to our house that one year in Roseburg. Then when we moved to Salem, the boys watched SPORTS all day long and mom and I played rummicub.

Julie said...

Oh come on Angela, you know you loved the flying monkeys on the Wizard of Oz! Yeah, "somehow" dad always won Monopoly, so it got boring for the rest of us.:) We still play games with our kids and watch movies on Thanksgiving. We usually go for a walk after Thanksgiving dinner too. I can remember going hiking or long walks in Oregon too. It's just nice to have everybody home and doing things they enjoy together.