
I just finished this book. A very good read and something I highly recommend. The stories are true, they are about refugees' life experiences and their struggles to survive in America. You may just feel very grateful for the life you are leading after reading this book. These people come from war torn countries and have endured so many horrific things. Our government places them here and these people are grateful for minimum wage jobs. Even though they've barely survived and have made it to a safe place where there are no bombs and people busting in your front door to kill you, they are barely surviving here in different ways. Many refugees view Americans as selfish... I look at all the greed I see people indulging in. My mother in law told me of someone she knows that she took a present to at Christmastime. She walked in their front door and said it looked like Toys R Us under the Christmas tree. My mother in law's friend went through stacks of shirts, blouses, and clothes and then... stacks of CD's the kids were getting for Christmas. She bragged about how much STUFF she was getting and giving to her children. I don't understand how Americans who have the richest country on earth, cannot share their things with so many people in need. Do we really NEED all these things when so many go without? There are many people like the story of the refugee in this book whose father was shot in front of his family and then when they were on the run, their mother was killed by a bomb. Then the 4 children get to the US and the oldest boy has to become the caregiver and wage earner for his siblings. He sacrificed his wants AND needs so his family can have a better life. Many refugees have to sacrifice their dreams and have no hope. I can make time to at least help where I can, everyone can, even friendships are helpful. There is something every person can do to help. I hope those of you who read this blog will take time in your life to see how you can help others who desperately need some compassion and also the basic necessities in life. There is so much need and so few who do anything to help. I do know people who do give, and they give very generously... A girl in my class offered to be a cultural broker, someone who helps read mail and helps refugees get to and from their appointments. Even though some of these students have vastly different beliefs than my own, I am grateful for generous hearts. I am grateful for the opportunity to meet a wide variety of good people, it makes me feel a little bit of hope in our crazy country where it seems money and greed rule.
In the book of Luke 10:30-37 in the new testament of the Bible says...
30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
33 But a certain a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
No comments:
Post a Comment