I don't understand people's desire to be that insensitive and cruel. I wanted to become a nurse when I went back to school because they make good money, they are in high demand, I see jobs all over for nursing and you can pretty much pick what hours you want to work. I didn't become a nurse because I hated the classes, and felt that wasn't the path I should be going down. I felt that very strongly.
Have you ever had a strong impression where you knew you were being led to certain experiences in life and things sort of came together for you and as you started down that path, things became easier and fell into place? That's what happened when I moved to Utah. I substitute taught for a roommate who worked with autistic children. I loved it. I didn't enjoy most of my experiences in Utah, but for whatever reason, I was led to pursue the idea of teaching there. The highlight of my experience in Utah was working with these little children. So I went back to Oregon and began pursuing that goal, things clicked for me and I felt good about the choice I had made.
So I know that no more teachers are needed in my area. I know that a high number of people in my area are out of work teachers, but I don't plan on living in my area forever. I plan on going where I can find a job, even if that means living overseas. No, I know I will never be rich on a teacher's salary, but I will be taken care of. Being happy doing a job that takes up more than 50% of your day every day for 5 days a week is better than being miserable at a job you hate, even if you are making a lot of money.
Sometimes I really think that people need to keep their rude, uninformed opinions to themselves. It isn't helpful nor does it uplift or edify anyone. So I am on a quest to find friends to surround myself with who are supportive and kind. Are you one of them?
Thank you to my Mom, Dad, and James for supporting me with my desire to become a teacher because I think you're the only ones who've ever said anything good about it!
4 comments:
Angela! DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE GRUMPY GUTS!!! People that try to step on people's dreams & ambitions are just plain ol' rude!!!
i think it is great that you want to be a teacher!! yes....there may be LOTS of teachers, but this world has a desperate NEED to loving & nurturing teachers!!!
you follow YOUR dreams!
Merrianne, you are one of the kindest people I've ever met. Granted it's only by internet, but you are truly kind and compassionate. Thank you!!!
merrianne is right. Special needs teachers, well we need more of them! I know from working in a special needs class ( Deaf kids) and you would be awesome with Autistic children. You could even go to work in a program that does in home teaching of autistic kids.
I've never heard of teaching in the homes of autistic children. I'll have to check that out. Thanks Heather!
Post a Comment