Friday, June 20, 2008

new order mormons

Have you heard the term, new order mormons? I hadn't until I happened onto someone's blog and read about it. What's up with that???? I think if you believe in that kind of thing, you must not have a testimony of the LDS faith. That they're calling themselves "new order Mormons" is telling.

The reason this group has formed is because they say they "no longer believe in some or much of the dogma of the church". I think if a person says that kind of thing, then they do not have a testimony of the doctrines of the church. The church teaches its members that they can find out for themself that the church is true. If you don't believe or have a testimony of a religion, why would you continue to attend? For social reasons? cultural? I say that's not good enough. You need to find out for yourself. Perhaps nobody bothered to tell them how they could find out for themselves the church is true. Maybe they don't want to spend the time to find out.

I think beginning again to read the Book of Mormon is essential in gaining a testimony of the LDS faith. That is also why we're told to re read the book over and over again. So we can understand the basic doctines of the church. Then when you reach the end of Moroni 10:3-4. Do what it says. I think all members owe it to themselves and God to read the Book of Mormon and get confirmation over and over again that the Church is true or even that different commandments are true. It is essential so that we don't forget and lose sight to why we are even here upon this earth.

I think that is what is wrong with people who lose their way. They forget and then lose perspective.

I think one of the most important things to remember is to not get complacent in your testimony. Continually searching and praying should happen regularly.

It is sometimes hard to find the right path to follow in life and I think God intends for us to work hard at it. He wants us to show him we are serious in finding out and we need to put forth the effort. He can't give us everything or we won't learn the lessons we need that come through hard work or effort.

I know a man who began investigating the church and he became excited because he loved the doctrine. His wife didn't really believe but she had been wanting something to unite her family and this seemed to be the thing she was looking for. The family was all baptized. The wife never truly believed, but she relied on her husband's testimony for a time because she saw that the works of the church were good. (I would never encourage being baptized unless you knew of an assurity that the church was true, but she did what she did.) Then the summer after their baptism, the family went on a trip to Nauvoo. They went to the Liberty Jail and she said finally a feeling came to her and spread all over. She KNEW the church was true. Her testimony wasn't an easy thing to obtain for her. She had been trying, but with persistence, she was successful. To hear her now, you'd think she was born with a strong testimony.

I know another woman who joined the church because her husband was a member and he wanted the family to go to church together. She took the discussions and professed to believe. She was then baptized, but mostly relied on her husband's testimony. Later after an extended time of being away from each other, the woman began to doubt. She quit going to church and then she began reading negative things about the church. (most negative things written about the church are by people, usually former members who have been reprimanded for breaking commandments. Because they've been reprimanded, they feel wronged and then write twisted things about the church that are 1/4 truth and 3/4 twisted lies.) Then she began cheating on her husband which eliminated the Spirit of God in her life. She now believes in any and every bad thing she hears about the church, which of course are mostly a little truth mixed in with a lot of lies. She lost her marriage, her good standing in the church, her values, and her way.

Both of those are dramatic stories, they are true stories and I personally know both people. I think all of us who are members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints, can look at our lives and decide we want to be actively adding to our testimony instead of letting it wither and die.

More than anything else, I like knowing that this life has a purpose and any and everyone can find that purpose and in turn know true happiness. Losing your way in life is not particularly fun, nor is it exciting.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I have a hard time with the word 'Dogma', I think it's offensive and overused in my opinion.

As for those who "leave the Church", Joseph Smith once said in so many words (I wish I knew the source, as I would site it):

"Members may leave the Church, but they will never be able to leave the Church alone."

I just have to shake my head on these types of issues and feel sorry for them. They create support groups and other gatherings such as what you've stated, all in guilt I feel. Because it must be a hard thing to leave the one and only true Church! ;)

James and Angela said...

I agree with you Rebecca.

The word dogma seems offensive compared to the word doctrine.

I'm sure these people do feel guilty. I think possibly part of the problem is pride. By being proud and not humble, a person is defensive and unable to humble themselves enough to repent and admit they're wrong. Being unable to say I'm sorry or repent, causes those feelings to fester and ooze like a sore that spreads and causes more problems and harm. Eventually the person believes that they were in the right the whole time and may possibly never be able to admit the part they played.

I'm sure it would be a hard thing to leave the church. Reading and thinking about all these things makes me want to grow my testimony more!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I have never heard of that group of people!! It is PRETTY DERN SAD if you ask me!!!!

I really so feel sorry for them! They are missing out on TRUE HAPPINESS!