Friday, June 6, 2008

One class down... three to go...

It's finals week this coming week and I have tons to study for, papers to write, and projects to complete. I did complete my art project and we had our final critique last Wednesday. AHHH... one class down three to go.

My teacher loved my final project. I decided to do a self-portrait. First, because I couldn't find another photo that fit her specifications and didn't have time to go to my mom's house to rifle through her photos. Second, because I've been studying Rembrandt and he did a lot of cool self-portraits.

My teacher said she loved the hair the best in my portrait. She loved the different qualities of light and dark in it. She asked me what I liked and I told her my jacket because I just put the shading in it without thought to the overall look and it turned out better than I expected. My teacher said I look like a Madonna or a Venus in my portrait and she loved the color I put in my face. (she helped me a lot with color, the eyes have 6 different colors in them.)

My one bad critique about it would be the background... yuck! But the original had a stupid background too. I'll work on it later.

So here is my final project... and if you don't hear from me until after next Wednesday... shhhh... I'm studying!

Also I couldn't get a great shot of the portrait because it is HUGE, I tried to straddle it and get a good picture. Then I tried to sit it straight up but the lighting makes the whole thing look yellowish, so this is the best photo I have and the picture is sort of tilted... ah well. It's a 32" X 40" matt board. It reminds of Gone with the Wind when Rhett says "Damn you Scarlet" and throws his glass of wine against her huge portrait. I told my class that I'd make a similar one of James' and we'd equip ourselves with darts and when we're ticked at each other, we can throw the darts at each others portraits!

2 comments:

Becky said...

WOW!!!! That's INCREDIBLE Angela!!!

James and Angela said...

thanks Rebecca, I've really enjoyed my art class and hope to continue drawing. I'd really like to get into pastels.