I'm not a collecter of things and probably will never be one, but my friends' button collection reminded me of the jar of buttons that sat among my mom's sewing projects and her sewing box when I was little. It was a canning jar full of buttons that she took off of clothes that were old and turned into rags. She put in the extra buttons that came from new clothes in their little envelopes. She also put in the buttons from left over projects when she didn't use all the buttons that came on the card.
When I was little, I always wanted my mother's attention. Maybe it was because I was the middle child, I don't know. I know I used to tell her that I wished I was her only child. She had 5 kids at the time (she had her 6th when I was 16)and she sewed all of our clothes, she grew a large garden, canned, and kept her house spotless. She was a very busy woman. When my mother was sewing, I'd sit with her and that jar of buttons and pour them all out on the floor and count them, then I'd sort them by color, then by size. I'd easily spend hours with all those brightly colored buttons, there were so many different kinds and I loved to sort and classify things.
I still like to look at my mom's button jar when I go visit. I don't pour them out and count them any more, but I look at them with fond memories and am glad my mother had the patience to let me pour them out all over her floor.
I love those little memories.
2 comments:
Cool...I remember doing the same thing at my Grandma Montgomery's, but hers were in a tin and they were there to play with.
Now Angela, you have a job to do. Next time you go home I want you to take the button jar and pour them out all over the floor like you used to and sort them too....it will bring back wonderful memories and I am bet you will have your mom's undivided attention....your mom, like mine, is super woman and I love them both!
Awww...Me too! I love little memories like that!!! Makes me feel all TINGLY inside!!! :)
Post a Comment