On a more serious note... today is September 11. My blogging friend Rebecca posted about where she was on this day.
I wanted to share where I was.I was on my mission in Boston, Massachusetts on this day. I had been sick for two days and asked the Elders for a blessing. We were at the church and the Assistant to the President called us. He said go home, go now and don't take the bus or train. We don't know what is going on but it looks as if planes are being used in a terrorist attack. We don't know if it'll happen to other forms of transportation. So my companion and I walked home. We had no clue what on earth was going on. I was nervous, is it the beginning of the end I thought to myself as I laid in bed that week with the flu.
In the days following, I grabbed a newspaper and read about what had happened, but pretty much for us missionaries, it was back to work as usual. It seemed the world had changed. There were candlelight vigils, people wanted to talk to us about God. People were changing, they wanted to talk about religion. We had so many appointments following 9/11 that it was incredible. It seemed through tragedy, people were turning to God for comfort.
But where are people now? In times of tragedy and terror, people lean on God, but what about when times seem good? I think it is sad that we as a country haven't kept our faith and have quit leaning on the Lord.
It wasn't until a year later that I actually saw on tv what had happened and a month later I was home and filled in on more details.
I hope everyone everywhere will take a minute today and stop and think about what happened on this day. I hope everyone will embrace the Lord, not only in times of need, but in all times of their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment