Friday, September 19, 2008

Dolls

My Mom and I recently helped make 200 dolls for the humanitarian outreach program that the LDS church is in charge of. We loved doing this project even though after the first 100 dolls, we wanted to start throwing dollies out the window! Now that's it's been a few months, I'd love to make these dolls on a consistent basis. President Hinckley said he wanted a doll in every care package that went out to children in need because sometimes that was the only toy they had in their possession.

My Aunt got us started on this project. What a wonderful thing for her to focus on. Right now she's making the larger dolls. She is such a talented lady and I love thinking about her and how she seems to have embodied the spirit of giving that my Grandmother had. It reminds me of once when my Grandmother came for Thanksgiving and I was making the rolls. She wanted the recipe because she said these rolls would be perfect for her visiting teaching ladies. I was impressed that my Grandmother would be thinking of her visiting teaching ladies when she was 100's of miles away from home, on vacation during the holidays, and busy with family. My Grandmother constantly thought of others. My Aunt does too.

I'm thankful that my Mom and I were able to help my Aunt complete her dolly project. It was a great sense of accomplishment when we got them all done. They filled up two rocking chairs and half the floor when we finished. I wish I would have gotten a picture to put on my blog, but my camera's battery was dead.

So if you're interested in helping with the humanitarian effort, there are tons of patterns you can choose to make for a child on the LDS website.

This is the one we did.

“All about us there are many who are in need of help and who are deserving of rescue. Our mission in life, as followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, must be a mission of saving. There are the homeless, the hungry, the destitute.” President Hinckley

2 comments:

Burnhams said...

How fun to do that! Maybe thats something I'll look into after we move.

James and Angela said...

It was a lot of fun especially when we were all working together on the project. It was a real sense of accomplishment when we had them all done and what a great feeling to know babies who have nothing will get them. We filled up 3 huge trash bags full of them. I encourage you to talk to your Relief Society President when you get settled and ask for donated material, that way you can make a lot more dolls then you would ever be able to afford materials for!