Many people watched Oprah's interview with Tom Cruise. I put it on my DVR and watched it last night and have been thinking about it today. I wish I wouldn't have watched it. I have seen people blogging about how they've changed their views about Tom Cruise and Scientology. I've even heard women in Relief Society idealize Oprah and say key phrases that she uses. I think Oprah is basically a good person, but she doesn't have my value system. I think there is something wrong with people who quote Oprah in church. I'd rather hear Jesus Christ being quoted. I don't think it is good to idealize Oprah and believe everything she has to say. I do feel that she wanted to put Tom Cruise into a better light possibly so the media will stop making fun of him. (I think it is ridiculous for people to pander over movie stars... they're just people, the same as everyone else.) I feel because Tom Cruise has a new movie coming out that this interview was all a set up to get everyone out to his movie. His last mission impossible movie didn't do as well as Paramount hoped, probably because the public thought he was nuts and didn't want to support him. I just feel that people need to have their own values, be strong, and stop being blown about by whatever "new" and cool thing is popular. I say quit putting mortals on a pedestal because they don't belong there and please don't quote what Oprah says on her show to me. I don't want to hear all the things she is doing for others... I want to make my own life good by serving God.
Personally Scientology scares me and the way this "church" goes about harassing people is wrong and hurts people. I don't think any church should get involved in how a person cares for their mental health. Those are serious issues that should be prayed about and perhaps vitamins and minerals work for some people, but for others they need more help then that. I feel that psychology has come through the dark ages. We don't want to see mental health decline back to the 50's and 60's where people didn't get the proper treatment that they needed.
2 comments:
I agree that we shouldn't idolize "mortals". It can too easily get out of control. Oprah is a great person, I used to really look up to her until she started to air shows about couples having sex with other people besides their spouses and her show put that topic into a light as if it's OK and "do whatever makes you both happy". Gross. Bringing STD's into the relationship is now OK? Blah... :P
But, she has aired several good episodes and she is still worth watching in my opinion. But like you said - to idolize her is probably going in the wrong direction. She is a very giving person, but standard wise, I think we should send her the Book of Mormon :)
Hi Rebecca,
I appreciate your opinion on Oprah. (And thanks for visiting my blog) I know many people really like her and watch her on tv. I also think she is basically a giving person as well. However, I've decided she's not someone I want to watch. She doesn't have good morals. You gave the example of swinger couples and she's not married to her partner. She says not everyone should get married. I think that is horrible advice to give people and because they look up to her, they follow her like sheep.
She also is pretty vocal about what she does for charity and what she gives to people. People know her as a very charitable person, but I'm of the opinion that "when thou doest alms, let not they left hand know what thy right hand doeth" (Matt. 6:3) I suppose we get our reward here on earth when we tell everyone all the good things we do for others. I just think I already have the tools I need to become a good person without listening to Oprah's worldly comments and thoughts.
I know Sheri Dew gave a talk that in essence told about how following Oprah isn't such a wise choice. I feel like so many people like her and want to believe everything she has to say because she is rich and gives her money to others.
Everyone has the choice to decide what they are and are not going to watch on television. I would hope people would watch Oprah less and give of themselves more.
Post a Comment