Here is an amazing casserole recipe that my Mom gave me. I'm trying to eat very little to no meat in the summer. The Word of Wisdom tells us we should only eat meat in times of cold and famine. You can alter this recipe to suit your taste. I can't use green pepper in my cooking, James has colitis and peppers aggravate it. I also am trying to use whole wheat tortillas and more soy cheese to make this more healthy. I also add avocado because I could eat an avocado every day and be very happy, plus it's the good kind of fat, and they're great for the female reproductive system, just don't eat more than 1 a week, you'll gain weight if you do. This is also great with fat free sour cream on top. My husband's children love this and that was surprising because they make a big deal out of wanting meat at every meal. So this is a huge winner at my house, I hope you enjoy it too.
Black Bean Tortilla Casserole:
2 large onions, chopped
1-1/2 C. green pepper, chopped
1 can (14 1/2oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
3/4 C. picante sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
8 corn tortillas (6 inches)
2 C. (8oz.) shredded reduced fat cheese
Toppings:
shredded lettuce
chopped tomatoes
chopped green onions
sliced olives
In a large saucepan, combine onions, peppers, tomatoes, picante sauce, garlic, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes. Stir in the beans.
Spread a third of the mixture in a 9x13 baking dish. Layer with tortillas and 2/3 C. of cheese. Repeat layers; top with remaining beans.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with toppings.
3 comments:
The original recipe the ingredients call for corn tortillas, but in the directions of the recipe it says flour tortillas. I use flour tortillas. I'm sure they made a mistake in the printing and it should say flour.
YUMMMMM! That looks so good. and I would add Avacado, too! I could eat one everyday as well!!
I am going to TRY this one!!!
Mom, I used flour tortillas the first time I made it and it was wonderful.
Merrianne, you'll love it!
Post a Comment